Monday, August 03, 2009


Ava's swim lessons



For the past two weeks, Ava has been taking swim lessons at the brand new YMCA in Gainesville. With Nick being in Augusta, it worked out well as me and the kiddos stayed at Mimi and Papa's house, coming home on the weekend to see Nick. Ava was very confident going into swim class and did so great on the first day. After her first lesson she asked if she could go in the pool, with the water slide, sprayers etc. and play. We let her and we sat 3 feet from the edge and watched her play. Literally somehow in the blink of an eye I see this head bobbing up and down in the 4 foot section of the pool...it was Ava. Somehow the current from the waterslide pushed her to the deep end. There were 3 lifeguards on duty, but I guess all of them needed a break at the same time, because none of them were at their posts. So, with clothes & shoes on, I jumped in and got her. So scary, and I now understand how kids drown so quickly. She was fine, and didn't even swallow water. She was actually treading water the entire time while holding her breath (just bobing like a fishing bobber). Needless to say she was petrified and for the next two weeks, we had a battle just to get her in the pool. The instructors were great with her and made her do everything they asked. She cooperated, but not without much negotiation (can I wear my googles??? I'm cold!!! If I put my head in the water can I get out and get a drink of water??? Can Claire go first???....on and on).


However, her last two lessons she was back to her old self, chasing her instructor around the pool and dunking her own head under water...What can we say, she's our one of a kind Ava.
Here she is with her certificate and her new Sea World Barbie (her prize for doing great...and eventually not crying and yelling :)

1 comments:

Scott, Holly, Bonnie Kay and Molly Margaret said...

Way to go Ava! I'm sure the near drowning was a little scary for everyone, but good for you for jumping right back in the water! And way yo go Mom for playing Bay Watch and doing what you had to do! Move over Pamela Lee!!
With Ava's swimming skills and Jenn with our Life Guard experience you will all be ready for St. George for sure!
I'm also glad you got to spend some time in Cornelia. With Nick's schedule I'm sure you love the extra help and I bet your mom and dad just eat it up!