Monday, June 08, 2009

The Rest of the Story...

This post is actually the most current, but I didn't want it to be the first post everyone read when they opened up our blog...After all we are most excited about Bennett's arrival!!!
As you all know we came home from the hospital on Sunday, May 31st feeling great and excited to spend some time as an official family of four. Tuesday evening or more like midnight Wednesday morning I got up to get Bennett and thought I was more sore than before. I bent down to pick him up, and realized it felt like an elephant on my chest so I woke up Nick. We came out to the family room, I thought maybe I just was uncomfortable in the bed so I would just hang out on the couch and feed him. Nick went back to bed, but left the bedroom door open so I could call him if I needed him. Not long after I discovered I was in a considerable amount of pain and tried to call him, but couldn't. I somehow made it to my mom's bedroom and got her up so she could feed Bennett. Well we ended up getting Nick, calling the Doctor on call who told me to take two pain pills and a motrin and call in the morning if it wasn't better. By the morning I still had a fever, full fledged labor contractions and severe pain in the abdomen so we called Dr. Fisch and she told Nick and I to come in.
Dr. Fisch was very concerned as she knows that I am not a complainer and I have a very high tolerance for pain. Nothing was wrong with my incision and nothing pointed to signs that something went wrong with the c-section, so she began to worry that I had a blood clot somewhere in my chest or abdomen or that I had a perforated bowel. She immediately admitted me and 45minutes later we were back on the LDR floor at Piedmont. I had a CT scan, blood cultures and other delightful tests. The CT scan showed that everything was fine in my abdomen, but my uterus had not "released" the left over "stuff" that it's suppose to after you have a baby (no matter which way you deliver). They started treating me with an antibiotic and gave me Pitocin to try and get the uterus to contract some more and get rid of the "stuff" on it's own. Finally on Friday, the cultures came back and revealed that I had a gram negative bacteria running thru my bloodstream. A severe infection...that meant if I had come in any later I would most likely have been in ICU with sepsis. Infectious disease was called in to determine what type of antibiotic to treat me with. Meanwhile my uterus didn't feel like letting go of the pregnancy remnants, so I was put to sleep and the Doctor's took care of it. Friday night I was feeling better and could at least talk, get out of bed and finally eat after 3 days. Infectious disease found an antibiotic that I could take at home and we came home Saturday night. Basically, the infection was somehow caused by my uterus retaining the "stuff", which just turned into an infection.
So...sorry for the long details but needless to say things have been interesting! Being away from our sweet baby boy and girl literally broke our hearts, and I cannot even go into how both Nick and I felt. On top of being away from his babies, Nick had to see me in the worse pain of my life and we had to go through some horrible stuff. However, we made it through with some heavy prayer and we are glad to be home and on the final road to recovery!

1 comments:

Scott, Holly, Bonnie Kay and Molly Margaret said...

Oh Jenn!
Thank goodness you got to the hospital when you did and things didn't get any more serious than they already were!! It must of been so hard for you to leave Ava and Bennett and I'm sure they are oh so glad to have their Mommy back at home. Love you and hope you are feeling better!
Scott, Holly, Bonnie Kay and Molly Margaret